Obtaining a Thai Drivers License in Hua Hin or Cha Am for long stayers.
Getting your Thai drivers license in Hua Hin or Cha Am is not difficult at all, although maybe a little daunting with the some of the steps involved. I would highly recommend anyone who plans to stay in Thailand to get a Thai drivers license as it will not only stop police fines but if there is any sort of accident could avoid serious punishment and insurance issues. If you have no license you will automatically be at fault for any incidents on the road.
Basic requirements are fairly standard:
What you need:
Certificate of residence (You need documents stating where you live and can get the certificate from immigration)
Doctor’s certificate (proving health, cost varies and many will not give you an actual test)
Passport with valid Non-immigrant visa and photocopies (signed) of front and visa pages
International driver permit (from home country, not necessary but helps)
Any relevant license from home country (compulsory if no International drivers permit available)
License fee 105 baht for cars and 55 baht for motorcycle (subject to change)
1. Fill in the application form (Thai language only) and attach the required documents as above.
2. Join a class for instruction on the laws related to driving and how to drive safely in Thailand. The class is for two hours (two classes are held daily, Monday to Friday, at 09:00 and 13:30). For those unable to speak Thai arrangement should be made for a Thai to accompany them to provide interpretation.
3. Take a test for colour blindness.
4. Take a computer based test (in Thai & English language only) on the rules of driving. (Have heard some do not have to do this)
5. Take the driving test. (Have heard some do not have to do this also)
6. Pay the licence fee and wait for the licence.
You must be 18 years old to drive car in Thailand.
There is separate diving licences for car and motorbike.
Always handy to have spare passport size photos but they should take your photo at the completion of your license application.
Below is a map of directions from Hua Hin to Phetchaburi Provincial Transport Office, Cha Am District, Phetchaburi
Below is a map of directions from Hua Hin to Prachuap Khiri Khan Provincial Transport Office, Mueang Prachuap Khiri Khan District, Prachuap Khiri Khan